Confratello
Utente
4726 messaggi
Jacaerys Velaryon
Confratello

Utente
4726 messaggi
Inviato il 30 settembre 2024 17:13 Autore

Una teoria poco conosciuta, ma che getta nuova luce su uno degli eventi chiave di ASOIAF.

Uno dei fatti che provoca lo scoppio della Guerra dei Cinque Re è la morte di Robert I Baratheon a opera di un cinghiale durante una battuta di caccia. Come tutti sappiamo, la responsabilità della fine ingloriosa del sovrano ricade sulla regina Cersei Lannister, colpevole di aver fatto drogare il vino bevuto dal marito nella speranza che capitasse un incidente di caccia.

Tuttavia, è possibile che Cersei non sia l'unica fautrice della morte di Robert, ma che dietro ci sia anche la manipolazione di Brynden Rivers, meglio noto come Bloodraven o Three-eyed Crow, un veggente e metamorfo. Bloodraven potrebbe aver colto l'occasione per guidare la storia in una certa direzione, come fa altre volte nel corso di ASOIAF, per esempio convocando Bran Stark per farne il suo allievo o (presumibilmente) interagendo con Jon Snow attraverso il corvo di Jeor Mormont.

Se così fosse, la morte di Re Robert sarebbe meno casuale di quel che si pensa solitamente, risultando invece il frutto dell'azione combinata di due complotti separati.

Quali sono gli indizi a favore della teoria? Li possiamo trovare qui:

Half-buried in bloodstained snow, a huge dark shape slumped in death. Ice had formed in its shaggy grey fur, and the faint smell of corruption clung to it like a woman's perfume. Bran glimpsed blind eyes crawling with maggots, a wide mouth full of yellowed teeth. But it was the size of it that made him gasp. It was bigger than his pony, twice the size of the largest hound in his father's kennel.

"It's no freak," Jon said calmly. "That's a direwolf. They grow larger than the other kind.

"Theon Greyjoy said, "There's not been a direwolf sighted south of the Wall in two hundred years."

[...]

“Direwolves loose in the realm, after so many years,” muttered Hullen, the master of horse. “I like it not.”

“It is a sign,” Jory said.

Father frowned. “This is only a dead animal, Jory,” he said. Yet he seemed troubled. Snow crunched under his boots as he moved around the body. “Do we know what killed her?”

“There’s something in the throat,” Robb told him, proud to have found the answer before his father even asked. “There, just under the jaw.”

His father knelt and groped under the beast’s head with his hand. He gave a yank and held it up for all to see. A foot of shattered antler, tines snapped off, all wet with blood. A sudden silence descended over the party. The men looked at the antler uneasily, and no one dared to speak. Even Bran could sense their fear, though he did not understand.

[...]

“What of it, Jon?”   “You have five trueborn children,” Jon said. “Three sons, two daughters. The direwolf is the sigil of your House. Your children were meant to have these pups, my lord.

(A Game of Thrones - Bran I)

"Stinks," Robert said. "The stink of death, don't think I can't smell it. Bastard did me good, eh? But I … I paid him back in kind, Ned." The king's smile was as terrible as his wound, his teeth red. "Drove a knife right through his eye. Ask them if I didn't. Ask them."

[...]

"Ah, fuck you, Ned," the king said hoarsely. "I killed the bastard, didn't I?" A lock of matted black hair fell across his eyes as he glared up at Ned. "Ought to do the same for you. Can't leave a man to hunt in peace. Ser Robar found me. Gregor's head. Ugly thought. Never told the Hound. Let Cersei surprise him." His laugh turned into a grunt as a spasm of pain hit him. "Gods have mercy," he muttered, swallowing his agony. "The girl. Daenerys. Only a child, you were right … that's why, the girl … the gods sent the boar … sent to punish me …" The king coughed, bringing up blood. "Wrong, it was wrong, I … only a girl … Varys, Littlefinger, even my brother … worthless … no one to tell me no but you, Ned … only you …" He lifted his hand, the gesture pained and feeble. "Paper and ink. There, on the table. Write what I tell you."

(A Game of Thrones - Eddard XIII)

"Robert could piss in a cup and men would call it wine, but I offer them pure cold water and they squint in suspicion and mutter to each other about how queer it tastes." Stannis ground his teeth. "If someone said I had magicked myself into a boar to kill Robert, likely they would believe that as well."

(A Clash of Kings - Davos II)

In sintesi:

1) Re Robert apostrofa il cinghiale come "bastardo". Bloodraven è uno dei Grandi Bastardi di Aegon IV Targaryen;

2) Re Robert si vanta di aver trafitto l'occhio del cinghiale. Bloodraven venne accecato dal fratellastro Bittersteel durante la Prima Ribellione Blackfyre;

3) Re Robert pensa che il cinghiale sia stato mandato dagli dei come castigo nei suoi confronti. Bloodraven è connesso alla rete magica degli Antichi Dei, presente negli alberi-diga;

4) Stannis Baratheon cita, seppure in maniera sarcastica, la possibilità che una persona si sia trasformata in un cinghiale per uccidere Robert;

5) all'inizio di AGOT un cervo uccide una meta-lupa, mandata a sud della Barriera (presumibilmente) da Bloodraven con il fine di consegnare i cuccioli della creatura ai figli di Ned Stark. Robert Baratheon, il cui emblema è un cervo, viene ucciso a sua volta da un animale alla fine del libro. Per coerenza, avrebbe senso che anche il cinghiale fosse controllato proprio da Bloodraven.

Modificato il 30 September 2024 17:09

The time between the notes relates the colour to the scenes
A constant vogue of triumphs dislocate man, so it seems
And space between the focus shape ascend knowledge of love
As song and chance develop time, lost social temperance rules above

Then according to the man who showed his outstretched arm to space
He turned around and pointed, revealing all the human race
I shook my head and smiled a whisper, knowing all about the place

Jon Anderson & Steve Howe (Close to the Edge)

What is honor compared to a woman's love? What is duty against the feel of a newborn son in your arms… or the memory of a brother's smile? Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

George R. R. Martin (A Game of Thrones)

The measure of a life is a measure of love and respect,

So hard to earn, so easily burned
In the fullness of time,
A garden to nurture and protect
It's a measure of a life
The treasure of a life is a measure of love and respect,
The way you live, the gifts that you give
In the fullness of time,
It's the only return that you expect

Neil Peart (The Garden)

Ernest Hemingway once wrote, ‘The world is a fine place, and worth fighting for.’ I agree with the second part.

Andrew Kevin Walker (Seven)

In this game that we’re playing, we can’t win. Some kinds of failure are better than other kinds, that’s all.

George Orwell (Nineteen Eighty-Four)

Euron Gioiagrigia
Confratello
Utente
9037 messaggi
Euron Gioiagrigia
Confratello

Utente
9037 messaggi
Inviato il 30 settembre 2024 21:15

Gli indizi sono interessanti, ma non mi convince. Per prima cosa, la faida tra Bloodraven e Bittersteel è nota a chi ha letto TWOIAF e leggerà F&B Vol. 2: benché Martin non si faccia scrupolo di inserire nelle sue opere collaterali riferimenti e indizi sulla saga principale, non credo sarebbe sensato fare il contrario visto che una saga dovrebbe essere autosufficiente e non necessitare di informazioni prese dall'universo esteso. Inoltre AGOT è stato scritto agli inizi degli anni Novanta, quando Martin aveva le idee molto più chiare e di certo non pensava a scrivere i vari spin-off cartacei.

L'altro motivo è legato a uno dei significati di ASOIAF, ossia la causalità degli eventi e l'assenza di senso dietro di essi. Se la morte di Robert fosse dovuta anche all'intervento di un master of puppets come Bloodraven, significherebbe che la saga ha un'impostazione molto più determinista e "magica" di quanto si pensi. Vero che è la magia potrebbe avere un ruolo rilevante in TWOW, ma non dovrebbe "sovrascrivere" significati e tematiche che sono presenti fin dal primo libro.

Jacaerys Velaryon
Confratello
Utente
4726 messaggi
Jacaerys Velaryon
Confratello

Utente
4726 messaggi
Inviato il 01 ottobre 2024 0:49 Autore

All'epoca di AGOT, Martin non aveva ancora in mente Bloodraven e la sua storia per come la conosciamo oggi. Le Ribellioni Blackfyre compaiono per la prima volta in ASOS. Tuttavia, Martin aveva in mente fin dal primo libro un'idea di base del personaggio. Pertanto, secondo me gli indizi citati dalla teoria (l'essere bastardo, la mancanza di un occhio, il legame con gli Antichi Dei) sono attributi originari del Corvo con Tre Occhi che solo in un secondo momento sono stati pensati per essere approfonditi in opere collaterali.

The time between the notes relates the colour to the scenes
A constant vogue of triumphs dislocate man, so it seems
And space between the focus shape ascend knowledge of love
As song and chance develop time, lost social temperance rules above

Then according to the man who showed his outstretched arm to space
He turned around and pointed, revealing all the human race
I shook my head and smiled a whisper, knowing all about the place

Jon Anderson & Steve Howe (Close to the Edge)

What is honor compared to a woman's love? What is duty against the feel of a newborn son in your arms… or the memory of a brother's smile? Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

George R. R. Martin (A Game of Thrones)

The measure of a life is a measure of love and respect,

So hard to earn, so easily burned
In the fullness of time,
A garden to nurture and protect
It's a measure of a life
The treasure of a life is a measure of love and respect,
The way you live, the gifts that you give
In the fullness of time,
It's the only return that you expect

Neil Peart (The Garden)

Ernest Hemingway once wrote, ‘The world is a fine place, and worth fighting for.’ I agree with the second part.

Andrew Kevin Walker (Seven)

In this game that we’re playing, we can’t win. Some kinds of failure are better than other kinds, that’s all.

George Orwell (Nineteen Eighty-Four)

Creato
6 giorni fa
Ultima Risposta
6 giorni fa

MIGLIOR CONTRIBUTO IN QUESTA DISCUSSIONE
Jacaerys Velaryon
2 messaggi
Euron Gioiagrigia
1 messaggi