Confratello
Utente
4496 messaggi
Jacaerys Velaryon
Confratello

Utente
4496 messaggi
Inviato il 13 maggio 2023 18:39 Autore

Dopo la discussione sui sette rubini di Rhaegar Targaryen, ecco un simpatico easter egg zoologico sulla vera identità di Jon Snow.

1 – La falsa scimmia

In A Game of Thrones, Pypar detto Pyp, uno dei confratelli di Jon Snow nei Guardiani della Notte, è chiamato “scimmia del guitto” da Alliser Thorne:

Pyp let fly a whoop and thrust his sword into the air. Ser Alliser fixed him with a reptile stare. "They will call you men of Night's Watch now, but you are bigger fools than the Mummer's Monkey here if you believe that. You are boys still, green and stinking of summer, and when the winter comes you will die like flies." And with that, Ser Alliser Thorne took his leave of them. Jon V, AGOT

Il soprannome deriva dal precedente lavoro di Pyp: la recitazione.

"A lordling," Pyp observed to Jon. "Southron, most like near Highgarden." Pyp had traveled the Seven Kingdoms with a mummers' troupe, and bragged that he could tell what you were and where you'd been born just from the sound of your voice. Jon IV, AGOT

Lavorando come attore, Pyp era una persona che fingeva di essere qualcun altro; quindi, in un certo senso, era un impostore: la scimmia del guitto è una falsa scimmia.

2 – Il falso drago

Quattro libri dopo, in A Dance with Dragons, Quaithe profetizza a Daenerys Targaryen l'arrivo di un drago del guitto:

"No. Hear me, Daenerys Targaryen. The glass candles are burning. Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun's son and the mummer's dragon. Trust none of them. Remember the Undying. Beware the perfumed seneschal." Daenerys II, ADWD

Il drago del guitto non è altro che un falso drago o, citando A Clash of Kings, un drago di stoffa:

"A dead man in the prow of a ship, a blue rose, a banquet of blood . . . what does any of it mean, Khaleesi? A mummer's dragon, you said. What is a mummer's dragon, pray?"

"A cloth dragon on poles," Dany explained. "Mummers use them in their follies, to give the heroes something to fight." Daenerys V, ACOK

Come sappiamo, il falso drago sta probabilmente per Young Griff, il ragazzo che afferma di essere Aegon Targaryen, il figlio presunto morto di Rhaegar Targaryen ed Elia Martell. Secondo una teoria popolare, Young Griff è in realtà un impostore, addestrato da Varys (tradizionalmente identificato come il Guitto, per il suo passato di attore).

3  – La vera scimmia

Infine, sempre in A Dance with Dragons, durante una conversazione con "Fake Aegon", Tyrion Lannister si definisce un "uomo scimmia":

"Perhaps you should be the fool instead of me. Trust no one, my prince. Not your chainless maester, not your false father, not the gallant Duck nor the lovely Lemore nor these other fine friends who grew you from a bean. Above all, trust not the cheesemonger, nor the Spider, nor this little dragon queen you mean to marry. All that mistrust will sour your stomach and keep you awake by night, 'tis true, but better that than the long sleep that does not end." The dwarf pushed his black dragon across a range of mountains. "But what do I know? Your false father is a great lord, and I am just some twisted little monkey man. Still, I'd do things differently." Tyrion VI, ADWD

Il soprannome è un riferimento al periodo in cui, quando esercitava il ruolo di Mano del Re vicaria, ad Approdo del Re egli era soprannominato "demone scimmia":

"Corruption!" the man cried shrilly. "There is the warning! Behold the Father's scourge!" He pointed at the fuzzy red wound in the sky. From this vantage, the distant castle on Aegon's High Hill was directly behind him, with the comet hanging forebodingly over its towers. A clever choice of stage, Tyrion reflected. "We have become swollen, bloated, foul. Brother couples with sister in the bed of kings, and the fruit of their incest capers in his palace to the piping of a twisted little monkey demon. Highborn ladies fornicate with fools and give birth to monsters! Even the High Septon has forgotten the gods! He bathes in scented waters and grows fat on lark and lamprey while his people starve! Pride comes before prayer, maggots rule our castles, and gold is all . . . but no more! The Rotten Summer is at an end, and the Whoremonger King is brought low! When the boar did open him, a great stench rose to heaven and a thousand snakes slid forth from his belly, hissing and biting!" He jabbed his bony finger back at comet and castle. "There comes the Harbinger! Cleanse yourselves, the gods cry out, lest ye be cleansed! Bathe in the wine of righteousness, or you shall be bathed in fire! Fire!" Tyrion V, ACOK

Inoltre, Tyrion si definisce un demone scimmia in diverse occasioni:

"Fire!" other voices echoed, but the hoots of derision almost drowned them out. Tyrion took solace from that. He gave the command to continue, and the litter rocked like a ship on a rough sea as the Burned Men cleared a path. Twisted little monkey demon indeed. The wretch did have a point about the High Septon, to be sure. What was it that Moon Boy had said of him the other day? A pious man who worships the Seven so fervently that he eats a meal for each of them whenever he sits to table. The memory of the fool's jape made Tyrion smile. Tyrion V, ACOK

"Don't you see the jest, Lord Varys?" Tyrion waved a hand at the shuttered windows, at all the sleeping city. "Storm's End is fallen and Stannis is coming with fire and steel and the gods alone know what dark powers, and the good folk don't have Jaime to protect them, nor Robert nor Renly nor Rhaegar nor their precious Knight of Flowers. Only me, the one they hate." He laughed again. "The dwarf, the evil counselor, the twisted little monkey demon. I'm all that stands between them and chaos." Tyrion X, ACOK

"I never imagined they would. So be it; they'll have something else to curse the evil monkey demon for." Tyrion XI, ACOK

E come se non bastasse, durante il viaggio con la compagnia di Young Griff, Tyrion nasconde la sua vera identità adottando lo pseudonimo di Hugor Hill; tuttavia, all'inizio Illyrio Mopatis dà a Tyrion l'alias Yollo, che il Lannister pensa sia inadatto, in quanto è un "nome da scimmia":

Yollo? Yollo sounds like something you might name a monkey. Worse, it was a Pentoshi name, and any fool could see that Tyrion was no Pentoshi. "In Pentos I am Yollo," he said quickly, to make what amends he could, "but my mother named me Hugor Hill." Tyrion II, ADWD

Pertanto, Tyrion riconosce a più riprese di essere una vera scimmia.

4 – Il vero drago

In sintesi: Pypar, Tyrion e Young Griff fanno parte di una schema tetrapartito, una struttura narrativa formata da quattro elementi messi in doppio parallelo.

I prime tre vertici del quadrato sono:

1 – Pyp, una scimmia del guitto, cioè una falsa scimmia;

2 – Young Griff, un drago del guitto, cioè un falso drago;

3 – Tyrion Lannister, un uomo scimmia, cioè una vera scimmia.

Per completare il quadrato ci serve il quarto elemento: un uomo drago, cioè un vero drago.

Va notato che lo schema diventa perfetto, ossia un chiasmo (una struttura a X), se:

1 – Allo stesso modo in cui la "vera scimmia" Tyrion viaggia in incognito, il vero drago si trova sotto mentite spoglie. A voler essere pignoli, anche Young Griff e Pyp sono sotto falso nome/soprannome, ma mentre il drago e la scimmia "impostori" esibiscono la loro falsità, la scimmia e il drago "sinceri" nascondono la propria verità;

2 – Il vero drago conosce la falsa scimmia fin da A Game of Thrones, così come la vera scimmia e il falso drago si sono incontrati in A Dance with Dragons.

Detto questo, chi è l'unico personaggio con le fattezze del vero drago? Ovviamente, è Jon Snow.

I motivi sono abbastanza chiari:

1 – Da A Game of Thrones, Jon e Pyp sono amici e membri della stessa “compagnia”, i Guardiani della notte, proprio come Tyrion e Young Griff sono “compari” in A Dance with Dragons;

2 - Jon è l'unico personaggio dei Guardiani della Notte "sotto mentite spoglie", a causa del mistero sui suoi genitori, nonché ad avere presumibilmente un nome segreto;

3 – Secondo la teoria R+L=J, Jon è il figlio di Rhaegar Targaryen e Lyanna Stark, quindi un "uomo drago", dato che i membri di Casa Targaryen sono spesso paragonati alle bestie sputafuoco che esibiscono come emblema.

Per riassumere il tutto, ecco lo "schema scimmia-drago" completo:

/

Scimmia

Drago

Guitto (Falsa/o)

Pypar

Young Griff

Uomo (Vera/o)

Tyrion Lannister

Jon Snow

Modificato il 13 May 2023 19:05

The time between the notes relates the colour to the scenes
A constant vogue of triumphs dislocate man, so it seems
And space between the focus shape ascend knowledge of love
As song and chance develop time, lost social temperance rules above

Then according to the man who showed his outstretched arm to space
He turned around and pointed, revealing all the human race
I shook my head and smiled a whisper, knowing all about the place

Jon Anderson & Steve Howe (Close to the Edge)

What is honor compared to a woman's love? What is duty against the feel of a newborn son in your arms… or the memory of a brother's smile? Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

George R. R. Martin (A Game of Thrones)

The measure of a life is a measure of love and respect,

So hard to earn, so easily burned
In the fullness of time,
A garden to nurture and protect
It's a measure of a life
The treasure of a life is a measure of love and respect,
The way you live, the gifts that you give
In the fullness of time,
It's the only return that you expect

Neil Peart (The Garden)

Ernest Hemingway once wrote, ‘The world is a fine place, and worth fighting for.’ I agree with the second part.

Andrew Kevin Walker (Seven)

In this game that we’re playing, we can’t win. Some kinds of failure are better than other kinds, that’s all.

George Orwell (Nineteen Eighty-Four)

Daenys The Dreamer
Utente
728 messaggi
Daenys The Dreamer

Utente
728 messaggi
Inviato il 13 maggio 2023 18:45

Effettivamente sembra tutto collegato.

Ha senso.

La lettura è un rapporto con noi stessi e non solo col libro, col nostro mondo interiore attraverso il mondo che il libro ci apre.

Italo Calvino

It’s gonna be legend… wait for it… dary!

Challenge accepted!

Barney Stinson

The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.

Jane Austen

Le piccole cose hanno la loro importanza: é sempre per le piccole cose che ci si perde.

Fëdor Michajlovič Dostoevskij

Bien sûr je te ferai mal. Bien sûr tu me feras mal. Bien sûr nous aurons mal. Mais ça c’est la condition de l’existence. Se faire printemps, c’est prendre le risque de l’hiver. Se faire présent, c’est prendre le risque de l’absence.

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

C’é una vergogna positiva, che prima di aprire bocca ti fa chiedere se hai veramente titolo per dire quello che stai per dire. É la grande assente di questo secolo.

Zerocalcare

Ogni persona che passa nella nostra vita è unica. Sempre lascia un po’ di sé e si porta via un po’ di noi. Ci sarà chi si é portato via molto, ma non ci sarà mai chi non avrà lasciato nulla. Questa é la più grande responsabilità della nostra vita e la prova evidente che due anime non si incontrano per caso.

Jorge Luis Borges

D
Daemon Targaryen
Utente
1497 messaggi
Daemon Targaryen

D

Utente
1497 messaggi
Inviato il 14 maggio 2023 10:57

L'accostamento Pyp/Scimmia non lo avrei ricordato mai e poi mai, però tutto il ragionamento fila ed è un ulteriore indicazione sulle origini di Jon.

M
Metamorfo
Confratello
Utente
10155 messaggi
Metamorfo
Confratello

M

Utente
10155 messaggi
Inviato il 14 maggio 2023 12:03
17 ore fa, Jacaerys Velaryon ha scritto:

3 – Tyrion Lannister, un uomo scimmia, cioè una vera scimmia.

Chissà che non ci sia un collegamento (sul modello di ciclicità della storia) tra la "donna con la coda di scimmia" della leggenda Yi Ti, e Daenerys, a cui si "accoda" la scimmia Tyrion

Jacaerys Velaryon
Confratello
Utente
4496 messaggi
Jacaerys Velaryon
Confratello

Utente
4496 messaggi
Inviato il 14 maggio 2023 12:09 Autore

Probabile.

Per giunta, c'è la teoria di Tyrion che conquisterà Casterly Rock. GRRM ha spiegato che il castello Lannister è ispirato alla Rocca di Gibilterra, famosa per la sua popolazione di bertucce, e se ne è uscito con il commento sibillino "We know it can be taken by apes".

The time between the notes relates the colour to the scenes
A constant vogue of triumphs dislocate man, so it seems
And space between the focus shape ascend knowledge of love
As song and chance develop time, lost social temperance rules above

Then according to the man who showed his outstretched arm to space
He turned around and pointed, revealing all the human race
I shook my head and smiled a whisper, knowing all about the place

Jon Anderson & Steve Howe (Close to the Edge)

What is honor compared to a woman's love? What is duty against the feel of a newborn son in your arms… or the memory of a brother's smile? Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

George R. R. Martin (A Game of Thrones)

The measure of a life is a measure of love and respect,

So hard to earn, so easily burned
In the fullness of time,
A garden to nurture and protect
It's a measure of a life
The treasure of a life is a measure of love and respect,
The way you live, the gifts that you give
In the fullness of time,
It's the only return that you expect

Neil Peart (The Garden)

Ernest Hemingway once wrote, ‘The world is a fine place, and worth fighting for.’ I agree with the second part.

Andrew Kevin Walker (Seven)

In this game that we’re playing, we can’t win. Some kinds of failure are better than other kinds, that’s all.

George Orwell (Nineteen Eighty-Four)

Creato
1 anno fa
Ultima Risposta
1 anno fa

MIGLIOR CONTRIBUTO IN QUESTA DISCUSSIONE
Jacaerys Velaryon
2 messaggi
M
Metamorfo
1 messaggi
Daenys The Dreamer